Updated: Oct 26, 2018
Not sure about the essential brushes you need to have?
Recently, I was talking to a friend who is not familiar with makeup and makeup tools. She asks me why do makeup artist needs so many brushes? I was trying to explain to her the different makeup brushes for different needs. She looked puzzled and nodded along the way. Further into the conversation she asked me "What kind of makeup brushes would I need as a beginner, and what purpose will it serve?" I explained to her at best I could and I think she understands better now, but I decided that the information would also be useful to others who are not as familiar about makeup brushes.
Hence I decided to blog what I have shared with her.
If you are a beginner in makeup, I am going to assume that you do not have much makeup products, or you do have some - but you seldom use it, hence you are unfamiliar with the tools. I'm going to break it down for you about the MUST HAVES in this post.
I have ordered the list below according to my priorities starting from the most important brush. My importance of makeup in general starts from Foundation, Blusher, Eyebrow, Eyeshadow.
1) Powder Brush - The largest fluffy brush you will see in a whole set. A powder brush is required to set your liquid foundation in a natural manner before you can proceed to next steps using other powder products. E.g. Eyebrows/blusher.
2) Blusher Brush - A small fluffy brush, the fluffiness of the brush should be about the size of your cheek. Do not use the flat blusher brush you get with the blushers you buy. Use a blusher brush to give a lit from within look. In a pinch, you can also use a clean blusher brush to apply contouring powder if you like a defined face shape.
3) Spoolie Brush - Looks like a mascara wand, it is multi-purpose. It can be used to disperse eyebrow product, allowing the eyebrows to look natural after filling in sparse areas, and can be used to remove clumps from mascara.
4) Fluffy Eyeshadow Blending Brush - If you use eyeshadow together with the provided applicators, a fluffy eye shadow brush is a game changer, because it is multi-purpose. It is best for blending dark colors to contour the eye shape, allowing you to create more depth into your crease areas.
5) Concealer brush - Good to have, not necessary as sponges and fingers can be used. Concealer brush is very good for detailed spot concealing.
6) Eyeliner brush - To be used for blending out your eyeliner, smoking it up even more with eyeshadow, using it at the outer corner. It is nice to have for eyeshadow and eyeliner blending. It is not a super essential brush, because you can use the little eyeshadow applicator the pointy part to blend eyeshadow at the eyeliner area. But it is very helpful.
I have listed the essential brushes to me.
On a daily basis, I need something else which is not a brush, however it is a tool. I will need a sponge to blend my foundation out. I prefer to use a beauty blender type sponge.
It can even help me with concealer blending hence I seldom use the concealer brush. I tend not to go overboard with the daily makeup hence my tools I choose to use are the sponge, powder brush, 2 blusher brushes (1 for contour, 1 for blusher) and a Spoolie brush.
What do you think of the suggested essential brush list? What tools will you use/ are you using to apply your makeup?